Thursday, September 2, 2010

Unsolicited advice

A past situation suddenly invaded my brain a few days ago.

I worked at Express for about 9 months several years ago. One night, near closing, two women walked into the store to take a peek at some of the newest addition to our fall line. I was standing next to the counter and one of the women approached me.

I assumed she was going to ask me about an article of clothing or a fitting room. She had something else in mind.

"Have you ever heard of Accutane?"
"Umm...yes."
"Oh okay, well I tried it and...*pauses* You may not believe this but my skin was worse than yours!"
*blank stare*
"What do you use right now?"
*babbling out my skin care regimine while trying to process the situation*
"Well, I mean, you should really consider asking a dermatologist about it."
*comments about the crazy side effects*
"I had the chapped lips and, of course I had to stay out of the sun, but...it's worth it!"

*Dazed and Confused*

I remember driving home to my apartment, utterly disgusted that this broad approached me about something so personal. I switched out my ailment/physical flaw for others to determine if I was overreacting.

*Glo approaching an overweight woman*
"Hi. Have you tried Jenny Craig? You probably won't believe me but, I was as fat as you were about a year ago."
Definitely rude..

How about....

*Glo approaching a person with traction alopecia*
"Hi. Have you ever heard of Dr. Miracle's Temple and Nape Gro Balm? It really works! Just last year, my edges looked as bad as yours. Now look!"
No...still...not...right...

One more shot....

*Glo sees someone with dingy teeth*
"Hi! *toothy smile* Have you ever tried Rembrant Intense Stain Toothpaste? It's really great. My teeth were as yellow as yours just last year, but check me out today!"
I'm sure her heart was in the right place. She found something that worked for her and she wanted to preach the Accutane gospel to all the lost and deprived, but my word!

I told my mother the story and begged her to pay for my visit to the dermatologist (no health insurance). Ever simultaneously love and hate someone? Yeah...I have...that woman. LOL...

Eh...don't know why I shared this. Perhaps it's my effort prolong the eventual abandonment of this blog. I will say that to this day I try not to offer unsolicited advice. Guess I should be thanking that woman for teaching me a life lesson on how to talk to people and consider the feelings of others...#heffa

3 comments:

  1. I took accutane! I know that wasn't the topic at hand tho. I can't stand when people offer up their opinion or advice. I get it on a daily with people telling me about my loc'd hair. I just say equally rude ish right back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was rude. Point blank.

    A lot of people have nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NotForTheFaint: Girl...I actually went to the derm and he put me on it. Cleared me up for a while. Didn't use it long enough to knock out my issue, so...here I am. *Kanye shrug*

    Erin: Yeah...she was...lol. Grrrrr. Like I said, I KNOW she meant well. Still left a hole in my soul. I was like..."Word?"

    ReplyDelete