Sunday, March 21, 2010

So you're against the "health care" bill?---be consistent (mini rant)

Warning--this will be incoherent and has been typed for the sole purpose of ranting.

A little background:
I'm one of the millions of citizens who actually PAYS taxes every tax season. I have been since I got my first salaried position. All of a sudden, I was getting taxed...and taxed hard! I was literally in shock when I saw my first paycheck. So shocked that I cried real tears. It hasn't gotten any better over the years and I don't think it will in the current system. So yeah, the IRS--I don't like 'em. I don't think ANYONE should have to pay income taxes. That's right, I'm a Fair Tax girl. *straightens up tin foil hat*

Anyway, this means that while several members of my friends and family are doing happy dances and planning how their going to spend their "refund" check (silly if you ask me), I'm writing checks to the state and federal govt. because I didn't "pay enough" of my paycheck during the regular year.

To the point of this blog:
I agree that the federal govt. shouldn't get involved in the health insurance business for many reasons. One of the major criticisms I hear from "my side" is the idea that people should pay for their own expenses and life decisions. I agree with them that healthcare is an expense. I think charity and other assistance should come from the local church. I also think people should be able to provide charity voluntarily. Is coerced help, really charity? (answer=no)

So then, if people should pay for their own expenses and life decisions, I challenge my fellow anti-healthcare bill folks to be consistent. We are inconsistent in so many ways. How are your children going to college? Hope it's not with a federal direct loan. *Hint* Put that FAFSA form down. Buying a house? It's a buyer's market! Hope you're not going to use an FHA loan. Work for the state? That means your employer AKA the state of (fill in state) is paying part of your insurance...lol...so I'm in that category along with almost everyone I know.

Here's one that will apply to a good number of people. Probably the most relevant. April 15th is less than a month away. Hope you're not going to take advantage of the child tax credit program this year. You know what I'm talking about. It's the little goodie from the govt. that decreases your tax liability by $1,000 for each qualifying child (might be a limit on number of children, think it's 3 or 4).

Here's the thing--that money ain't "free." SOMEONE had to pay more money so you could write them off. That someone is my husband and I, along with every other taxpaying American citizen. I don't have any kids, guys. I don't think I should have to pay out money so that Uncle Sam can give it to you in the form of child tax credit. What's this thing about "redistribution of wealth" I keep hearing?

So yeah, if you already got it, give it back or pay the difference. If you didn't get it yet, don't get it and if you get it just for putting your kids on as dependents, pay what you owe anyway.

What's my point? We're inconsistent is my point. Me too! If I was consistent I'd work in the private sector. The govt. (aka taxpayers and countries we borrow money from) are paying for many things. We're never going to agree on everything. This isn't to say that we should just allow Congress to go crazy, but it is to say that we could "ease the burden" by being more consistent. I don't think any of us really want to put our money where our mouth is on this. I'll really just be glad when  decision is made one way or another...

End rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment