Monday, March 1, 2010

3/1/2010 Half and Half

  1. Hubby and I have been pondering the definition of "Christian education." Is a Bible class and daily chapel sufficient or does the label of "Christian education" require subjects be taught from a Christ centered perspective or biblical lens. We're thinking it's the second one.
  2. Finished 100 Years of Solitude. It began strong and finished semi strong, with a weird middle. I give it a C. Could be worth the read, but only if you have nothing else to do...on to The Help.
  3. Have to begin "no fried foods" again. *crosses fingers*
  4. I'm SOOOOO bored with my hair right now. I'm going to surf youtube for loc tutorial vids before I shave my hair off...
  5. I won something from Lucky Magazine's Lucky Breaks! Unbelievable.
  6. Warren is possibly the most patient man I've ever encountered. First sign of this patience---He married me!


My Sunday school class is covering Counterfeit Gods right now. Let me just say that I love this book and how Tim Keller challenging readers to examine in themselves in this area. The most recent topic/"counterfeit god" we discussed was "success." I won't get too indepth, but the elder who is teaching the class gave us a couple viewpoints/attitudes to think about when examining if we have made "success" our god. This one (and the last one, "ambition") really hit home for me.

There have been times that I had to catch myself for allowing work to give me a sense of security that only Christ should give me. I remember explaining to someone about a year ago that I was making an effort to not allow missing goal to effect my attitude. I've found myself being on cloud nine when we're doing well, and on the other hand dealing with extreme frustration (and even with deep anxiety during my first year) when things weren't so great. In short, I struggle with this...pray for my strength and security in the Lord.

On a somewhat related note. During discussion on the topic of "success," a woman said her husband told her something like this:
People who are great don't seek out greatness. They have it thrust upon them. The truth is, many of us are ordinary. We're going to have ordinary lives. We're not going to be "great." Don't worry about great. Forget great. Just be faithful.
The "forget great..." thing is so different from what most of us are taught about life. It's so contrary to societal standards that I was torn between cheering and frowning when I heard it. Gotta say, I think it's the wisest thing anyone can learn. Be content with the lot the Lord has provided, whatever that lot might be. Forget great....Be faithful. Faithfulness may or may not lead to greatness or "success" by the world's definition, but one thing it will do is cause us to cling to Christ for our identity and strength...

"One life to live/ it will soon be past/only what's done for Christ will last..."

No comments:

Post a Comment