Thursday, May 27, 2010

Knock, Knock!!

The air mattress was uncomfortable but I wasn't about to get up.

Judah's bark startled me out of my lull. I frowned, eyes still closed. Butter's joined in about a split second later. They ran together into the hall to the front door. I shot up, glasses crooked, hair more dishelved than usual. *Knock Knock*

I sighed and struggled to gain balance to lift myself from the ground. I shooed the dogs and put my eye to the peep hole. Jehovah's Witnesses.

I wasn't dressed appropriately and my one armed glasses were barely staying on my face. I ran to my room, threw on some pants and grabbed another shirt to put on. Once outside, I poked my head out to let them know I was home. I remembered my last JW encounter. I didn't go into much detail about it but I really regretted not invited the green witness to come back to talk to me. I felt compelled to make the invitation this time.

A fresh faced, brown girl with neatly curled, relaxed hair beamed.

"I'm sorry, we heard the dogs and we did see the car but we didn't know if anyone was home."

"Oh, it's no problem."

"We're Bible students and we're hear to share God's word with you if you have a few moments."

Just as she completed the last part of her statement, an older woman walked up next to her. It was the JW who got upset with me last time.

"Sure," I said to Fresh Faced.

Directing my attention to the older woman, I said, "Do you remember me? You've been here before?"

Old JW tilted her graying head, held the screen door open and with a chuckle, replied, "I'm sure I have."

I smiled back politely.

"Yes...you got upset with me and left. You were with someone else, but it was definitely you."

"Upset?? I don't remember that but I'm sorry. I don't know why that would have happened."

"Well I already go to a church up the road...the one across from Mill Creek Elementary School. I wanted to know why I should stop believing what I believe and start believing what you believe."

"Well, it's not what I believe. It's God's Word. We don't force anything on anyone."

She pulled out two Awake magazines and showed them to me.

"Have you ever read any of our literature?"

"Yes ma'am. I have."

"Well, we wanted to talk to you about God's kingdom this morning. Have you evere heard of God's kingdom?"

"Yes ma'am. A man talked to me about it a while back."

"What did he tell you?"

"I don't remember exactly."

She pulled her New World Translation from under her arm and flipped to a passage in Daniel. She read the passage.

"See this is talking about God's kingdom. His government. You've heard of man's government? Well God has a government too. Man's government will fade away. God's government won't. Do you believe that?"

"Oh yes, I definitely believe that. The whole world will pass away. Just like 1 John 2:15 says, '...all that is in the world is the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the foolish pride of life, and the world is passing away, and the lust of it....'

"God's word doesn't say that," she said as she flipped to another verse.

I glanced at Fresh Faced quickly. She was flipping to 1 John!!

I turned my attention back to Old JW.

"Yes ma'am. 1 John does say that. The world is passing away."

She ignored me and began reading another verse pertaining to the earth.

"See, this says that the earth will not pass away. The earth has always been here. Even when the flood came the earth remained."

"Yes ma'am but 1 John does say that."

I look at Fresh Faced who's made it to 1 John.

"I see you have your Bible opened to 1 John 2:15. Doesn't it say "the world is passing away?"

She nodded affrimatively.

"'But he who does the will of God abides forever,' right?"

She nodded again.

Old JW jumped in. "What do you mean by 'world?'

"I mean the world system that would try to tempt and conform you to its ways. You know like in Romans 12:1-2 when we are warned not to be conformed to this world but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds...."

I looked at Fresh Faced. Her smile had faded into concern but she said, "Uh huh...yes..." letting me know that she was familiar with the Romans passage.

Old JW was ready to end the visit. "Can we come back and talk to you again?"

"Sure. When can you come? Can you come back in the mornings?"

"We can come back whenever you want."

"Sure! You should know though that there are some things I'm just never going to agree with you on."

"Like what things?"

"Well...first...Jesus is God."

"Yes, yes...Jesus is a god."

"No ma'am. Jesus is God. And God is triune. Father, Son and Holy Spirit."

"No, no...we don't believe that. Well...you seem like you already know everything about the Bible. We like to talk to people who want to learn."

Here we go again. She said the same thing to me the time before.

"That's exactly what you said to me last time. Only it was more rude. I know you've apologized, but this is what happened. You didn't want to talk to me after I tried to show you something in the Bible..."

I looked at Fresh Faced and began to speak. "She is not going to come back here but you are welcome here. You're new. I can tell..."

Fresh Faced interrupted. "No...I'm baptized!"

"You may be baptized but you're still newer than her. She was here last time. You can come back anytime and I'll show you from the Bible what I'm talking about. I'll tell you about the gospel of Jesus Christ."

I restated my address and gave her other information about my work hours.

Old JW, let the screen door close. I continued as the pump caught the door.

"You can come back here. I'm here in the mornings. We can talk about the gospel of Jesus Christ. This...what you're involved in is works righteousness..."

Fresh Faced held her gaze...her eyes had become glassy and heavy with doubt.

"I'm being serious. Come back. Read 1 Corinthians 15 and Galatians 1."

She nodded yes and walked away to her car with Old JW.

And it was finished.

I pray she actually DOES come back. If not, maybe a seed was planted. I hate to see anyone going through a crisis of faith but in this case it's necessary. She probably won't come back but she might remember those verses. Gotta get ready for work.

Eh...

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, Gloria. I really appreciate your boldness. Matt is that way when the JW come to our door. I admit, I hide and act like no one is home. I need to pray for boldness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do too, Glo. I still avoid JW's like the plague. If they approach me with the Awake, I just say "No, thank you." and keep going. Haven't had any knock on my door in a while. I have to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Gloria, praise God!!! Reading this got me excited! I pray she reads and that the Spirit of God would open her eyes to the real truth of the Bible! Yea! :-) Thanks for sharing. Let us know if she comes back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely will Jenn :-) It's been a little bit so I don't know if she will. Just hope it got her thinking...

    ReplyDelete