I know some will say, "Glo, it doesn't matter what you think. You're still lining his pockets by seeing these movies." My response: Yeah...you're right. I'm usually dragged to see these mediocre "movies" by relatives during family gatherings. There are the other occasions when I've been at someone's house and a TP movie was popped in for entertainment. The Why Did I Get Married movies are the only movies I viewed voluntarily.
Many people understand that his movies really aren't all that great. Why do poeple continue to support him? Well....He's a major Hollywood player because he did an excellent job building his fanbase and perfecting his brand BEFORE he even began making movies. I can't knock his hustle in this area--he's a marketing genius. Another factor we must not ignore is his casting and plots. Where else can you see an all black casts from all walks of life. Poor, rich, married, single...Answer...nowhere. Tyler Perry is the man in the black community. People will continue to support him no matter what he puts out. People like his personal story. He truly went from rags to riches by putting in MAJOR work.
So..to the point.
How is Why Did I Get Married Too? wack? Let me count the ways.
- TP continues to struggle with the difference between directing films and plays. This is evident with some of the shot selections and dialogue (VERY evident when all the couples are arriving at the beach house).
- Bad acting throughout. Louis Gossett's accent...Kids in the beginning of the movie...Michael Jai White...
- "Angela" is funny in some ways and NOT funny in others. Some of her behavior is so over the top that it's unbelievable. For example, "Marcus" would have been fired after that stunt she pulled on his job.
- The husbands talking on the beach was discouraging. I mean...all the complaining about the wives was too much.
- I NEVER need to see Tyler Perry without a shirt on. Bad idea jeans...
- Why did we borrow a sub-plot from Soul Food again?
- Cicely Tyson's lace front
- Bad keying/green screening (fireworks scene)
- The last scene with "Patty", "Gavin" and the queen in a cake. I was so confused over this...
- "Patty" going beserk over $800,000. I mean...you still get to keep $400,000. And YES, he does deserve half.
- What was wrong with "Gavin" and "Patty" anyway? Why are we NEVER told.
- The last 5 minutes...
Yahoo reviewer, Jason Barrett puts it the best, saying:
How long is Tyler Perry going to do this? I know that he has a legion of loyal followers that anticipate what he is going to put out next. But this is one example of how the anticipation of a product is actually better than the product itself.
Why Did I Get Married Too was all over the place. The storyline was grossly undeveloped, the acting was uninspired with Jill Scott and Tasha Smith as exceptions, the main characters were presented like caricatures of real people. The dynamic that existed between Patricia and Gavin was laughable. People in the theater were laughing at moments that should have been riveting.
Tyler Perry creates scenarios and then he decides that he doesn't need to explore them, it feels like he ties up loose ends just to finish the script. Also, he is the king of bad endings. How many Tyler Perry movies have you seen that ended horribly? The ending to this movie is no exception. I sat there watching Why Did I Get Married Too feeling duped, like how long does he think that he can get away with doing the same kind of movie over and over again? I respect Tyler Perry's creative talent, but I think he needs to study his craft a little more, because pretty soon the bottom is gonna fall out. This movie was disappointing.