Monday, February 8, 2010

"Two forms of self righteousness...."

I was reading a very interesting article titled Sanctification: Living by the Gospel by Les Newsom, RUF Campus Minister at Ole Miss. Click here to read the article in full.

He says,

I like to joke (sort of) that there are actually two forms of the self-righteous. The first kind is the old Fundy kind. This is the person who lives very confidently in Christ, after all they have their quiet times faithfully, they go to all the best Bible studies, and they certainly do not hang around those people...the bad people that is...(those who drink or sleep around). And God likes me because I do so. The other form of self righteousness is what I call the Theologian kind. The people don't boast so much in their accomplishments as they do in their knowledge. They replace the quiet time with theological precision. But the disease is just the same, God likes me because I have attained unto a certain understanding of all that is deep and philosophical about the Bible...
I just wanted to share this because I think it's a great observation.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...very good observation. I've seen both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I've BEEN both...probably still am on most days. More grace, Lord, MORE grace!

    ReplyDelete